Monday, March 2, 2015

Cohn House - Folsom, California



DATE VISITED: 03/01/2015

HISTORICAL SITE:  Cohn House

LOCATION: 305 Scott Rd., Folsom, Sacramento Co., CA

MARKER #: 1982002228

DEDICATED: 1982

PERSONAL REFLECTIONS: Our second stop and Dana was doing the same thing I did at the Slocum house...looking for a marker that explained what we were looking at. And like the Slocum house, nothing. Not a problem. A simple statement on FaceBook that I again have a mystery as to why this is a national landmark got me some information rather quickly. Thanks Dirk! On the side, I told him he makes the perfect traveling companion even when he's not traveling with me. I will admit, I'd rather have him with me but thanks again Dirk! 


The original house was built in the 1860's and today it only exists as the kitchen. The rest of the house was built in the early 1890's by former State Senator Phillip Cohn who had a general merchandize store on Sutter Street.  Now that's a nice commute! There was a lack of designers in the West so this "Queen Anne" design came from a "pattern book" which contained standard building designs that could be built anywhere.  Dana points out that this is an original cookie cutter house!

This area is called the "Nob Hill" of old Folsom, a nod to San Francisco's area with the same name. There are a few older homes and I have no idea why this one is considered a landmark and not the others.

By the time we got thru the Powerhouse and walking around the Cohn House, I was very hungry.  We drove down to Sutter Street to find a place to eat and this is where a pretty standard discussion between my sister and I took place. Dana: "Do you think I need to take my sweatshirt"? (You can replace that with sweater, coat, jacket, etc for the hundred times we've had this discussion). Kathie: "I'm taking mine just in case I get cold". And then Dana takes hers off and puts it in the car.

We had decided on a tavern but it was packed when we went in. As we were walking out, I saw patio seating above some store fronts and wanted to go there. The weather was beautiful. Warm in the sun with a cool breeze but just my luck, Mexican food. Not my favorite but my sister loves it so we compromised...she got Mexican food and I got outdoor seating.

Part two of our sweatshirt, jacket, sweater, coat discussion... Waitress: "there are two tables outside, this one in the shade and that in the sun". Simultaneously...Dana says "sun" and Kathie says "shade". Not sure why, but I won out this time. Of course, if you ask Dana I'm sure she'd say I always win. (Grins evilly)

And of course, after lunch, we walk back to the car to get Dana's sweatshirt. 

TripAdvisor review here....

No comments:

Post a Comment