Thursday, April 16, 2015

D'Agostini Winery - Plymouth, California



DATE VISITED:  04/11/2015

HISTORICAL SITE:  D'Agostini Winery

LOCATION:  14430 Shenandoah Road, Plymouth, Amador Co., CA

MARKER #:  762


DEDICATED:  September 16, 1961

"D'Agostini winery was started in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant. The original wine cellar, with wall made from rock quarried from nearby hills, hand hewn beams, and oak casks, is still in use and part of the present winery. Some original vines are still in production.

**closer look below

MARKER PLACED BY:  California State Park Commission in cooperation with the James W. Marshall Chapter No. 49. E Clampus Vitus.

PERSONAL REFLECTIONS:  My son Daniel went on my wandering with me. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to convince him to go. When I first asked, he said "history" like a bad taste in his mouth, so I knew I would have to make it a trip that was more than that.

I had just the thing...I wanted to go out to Renwood Winery in Plymouth to pick up some wine for my trip to Missouri and I thought Daniel might enjoy a little wine tasting and lunch.

Our first stop was at a diner...the Dead Fly Diner renamed Marlene & Glen's. Food was very good, but the restaurant could use a little attention. One of my main goals was to get something in our stomachs before the wine tasting. My TripAdvisor review can be found here....
 
The ride to Renwood from the diner was short and once you turn on Steiner Road, the countryside is filled with grapevines. I asked Daniel to take a few pictures of interesting countryside and what do I get? 
 
Yes, a rusted outbuilding of some sort. Gee, thanks Daniel! 


He got better or at least he started taking pictures of what I wanted. 

This was Daniel's first experience with wine tasting. I'm not a pro myself but I know how the experience progresses. Daniel finished his first taste a little fast and I had to tell him he had a lot more wine coming and might want to slow down a bit. 

At one point, he was asking the server if they did with left over wine what bars did with liquor...mix it all together and serve it. The first time I had seen this was at Hog's & Heifers in Las Vegas. They have a concoction called Hog Piss but the server said it was terrible. I thought, "oh jeez" but not only did the server answer, so did a girl on the other side of the bar. But just so you know, they do not do that.

After a little wine tasting and $230.00 later, we were back on the road.

Our first stop on the historical tour was to the D'AgostiniWinery, the 3rd oldest in California and considered to be the oldest continuously running winery.

The vineyards were originally planted in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant, and a few of those original vines are still producing grapes.

Uhlinger brought the grape vines from Europe when he immigrated and is credited with planting the first Zinfandel grapes in California.

In 1911, Enrich D’Agostini, for whom the winery owes its name, bought the winery and 125 acres of vineyard. 

In 1984, Armagan Ozdiker, who is known in the wine industry, bought the winery and produces wines under the D'Agostini and Sabon Estate labels.

The original house built for the D'Agostini family still stands and is now a museum. The house was built on top of the wine cellar so the original wine cellar also still exists. It's really cold inside the cellar and a sign inside informs you that you are standing an area that was dug in 1856. Pretty awesome when you think about it. I was much more impressed than Daniel was. 

Daniel, who loves creeping me out, was pointing at holes in the wall and dark corners and explaining about demon openings. I tried to give him that warning look thinking that zombie talk couldn't be far off but all I managed was to laugh. My sons can make me laugh so easily.

Daniel and I tasted several of their wines and after, Daniel declared that he much prefers beer. He said there is much more variety in beer and could I please find some history places near breweries next time. As I replied that I would, inside I was thinking..."yea, there's going to be a next time".




No comments:

Post a Comment