Sunday, January 7, 2018

Quinn's...What The Heck?...Arlington, Virginia

DATE:  October 10, 2017      
                                   
PLACE:  Quinn's On The Corner
LOCATION:  1776 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, Virginia
PERSONAL REFLECTIONS:  


One of our unexpected surprises on our trip to Washington DC was this sports bar we found not far from our hotel called "Quinn's On the Corner". While Dirk ordered a Dagwood Sandwich, I ordered the "Mammoth Mac". Now, I really don't like mac n' cheese but I couldn't pass up the description...mounds of mac, three cheese sauce, bacon, chicken and topped with garlic Panko crumbs" and I didn't go wrong. This dish was rich and delicious. I barely finished a 1/3 of it. Dirk, who also won't eat mac n' cheese, even thought it was terrific. It was one of those dishes that you think about days after you've eaten it so I figured I'd ask for the recipe. That's when I found out that eating it was the easy part...

10/18...My first contact. I complimented the dish and asked if it was possible to get the recipe. They immediately responded with thanks for coming, they'd love to give me the recipe and "give us a day to get it to you".

10/26...haven't received the recipe so I contact them again. Apologizing for being pushy, I ask for the recipe again. Again, they got back to me right away, explaining the chef was on vacation until Monday (4 days away) and that the recipe was in his book. I was assured they would get it for me along with "I promise". Again, I thanked them.

11/17...I again contact them asking if I could get the recipe in time for Thanksgiving. Again, quick response that the chef had a baby and if I would give them my email, they would send it to me. I give my email along with thanks.

11/21...I get an email from the chef saying how thrilled they are that I loved the dish so much. She wasn't at work, so promised to send the recipe the next day but as a teaser told me their secret is a Morney sauce.

12/15...being a glutton for punishment, I contact them yet again mentioning the chef's email but no follow up. And yet again, I ask them, which I have done with every communication that if they would rather not share the recipe, just tell me. This time there is no response.

01/02...At this point, I really don't believe I will ever see a recipe but it's become a challenge and a joke. Either give it to me or tell me you won't and I'll leave them alone. More communication...am I going to ever get it?

01/03...I hear back from their Marketing Manager asking for my email. She apologizes for the delay and says they will send it by the end of the next day. Of course, I send them my email right back.

01/04...So here we are, it's the next day. I see I got an email and I'm excited to get home and see the recipe. By the way, I have been bragging on this dish for months, promising to make it for Dirk and our friends. Imagine my surprise when I got the "recipe" below. I don't know what kind of cooking she does, but that is NOT a recipe, but rather a list of ingredients. No quantities, no instructions. To top it off, no "secret" ingredient...the Morney sauce!

Honestly, for the great service we got while at the restaurant, it is surprising how I've been treated since. Yes, I don't live in the area, so the odds are that I wouldn't be visiting again anytime soon, but Quinn's...what the heck?
 

1 comment: